I am still devoting most of my days converting the camp-cook.com cookbook to EPUB format. I have gotten through 64% of the cookbook. I am now in the Poultry section, which seems to be even larger than the Meat section was. It also has more pictures.
I was listening to a Linux podcast over the weekend and they happened to mention Handbrake as a way to convert between video formats. I downloaded and installed Handbrake to see if it could convert from an ISO image to an MP4 file. It turns out that it does a nifty job of that. One video I backed up went from an 8.3GB ISO file to a 624MB MP4. I have done quite a few conversions now, and the file compression ranges from 3 times to 13 times.
If a video backup includes a bunch of extras, those will not be converted. That doesn’t bother me, since I don’t usually look at those anyway. If I need to, I have the original DVDs with the extras on them.
Silly sign of the day:
Free/Open Source Software
- Terraria unnoficially on Linux with MonoGame
- Raspbmc turns the Raspberry Pi into a media centre
- N900 with a Slice of Raspberry Pi
- New Kernel Vulnerabilities Affect Ubuntu 11.10
- Google Summer of Code 2013 announced
- Younger developers reject licensing, risk chance for reform
- ROSA Desktop Fresh 2012 GNOME
- Why I Use Perl…and Will Continue to Do So
- FOSS’s Response to Office Rumor
- New LibreOffice turns up the heat on Microsoft
- Microsoft Office is not coming to Linux
- LibreOffice 4.0 And The Power of Brands
- ZE Rescue Disk Fixes GRUB Bugs
- 14 Accounting Software Tools To Make Finances Easy