I downloaded Sabayon 7 Gnome last night. It was a 1.6GB download, so it took a few hours. I installed it in a virtual machine this morning. I will look at it more closely tonight, but one of the things I have already noticed is that is installs XBMC (XBox Media Center). I don’t like it when people just assume they know what you want when it comes to stuff like that. We shall see what other things they have done ‘for your own good’.
I’m not so sure I like their package manager. It strikes me as a bit clunky and hard to use. That may be because it does some very different actions than Synaptic in Ubuntu and Linux Mint do.
Silly sign of the day:
Free/Open Source Software
- Watch out for FOSS advertising
- Broken Windows? Ubuntu Linux Saves the Day
- Open source jobs: What’s hot, where to look, what to learn
- Worried About Win 8 Secure Boot? So Is the Free Software Foundation
- Take your Linux PC back to the future
- 5 Open Source Games Come Together to Form ‘Free Game Alliance’
- Using MySQL to manage your music collection on Amarok
- Why I Switched to Linux
- Back to OpenShot for video editing in Debian GNU/Linux
- Learn Linux, 302 (Mixed environments): Managing user accounts and groups
- Introducing Ubuntu 11.10 Without Unity
- FSF takes Win 8 Secure Boot fight to OEMs